[Digikam-users] Some linux questions

sleepless sleeplessregulus at hetnet.nl
Wed Sep 28 13:30:38 BST 2011

Op 28-09-11 10:43, sleepless schreef:
> Op 28-09-11 05:05, Paul Verizzo schreef:
>> I know this isn't about digiKam, but the fact is that I look on the
>> folks in this list serve as being good, intelligent sources on linux
>> matters.  Instead of posting to some generic Linux site and getting
>> all kinds of answers from idiotic to disdaining and occasionally
>> helpful, I'd like to ask your thoughts on the following questions.
>> Please respond back channel paulv (you know what) paulv.net
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> The questions are,
>>
>> 1.  If I have a hard drive with a working linux distro on it, and I
>> want the hd to have other distros in addition, do I need to have
>> separate partitions for each distro?  What about the swap partition?
>>
>> 2.  I been using Thunderbird since forever and Netscape mail before
>> that.  I have YEARS of archived emails based on Netscape/Thunderbird
>> file types.  However, I have kept my TB version at like 2.6 because
>> of the newer layouts wasting monitor space.  Redundant functions.
>> I'm willing to poke around and look at email alternatives within
>> Linux clients.  Ideally, easy to import Contacts and super--ideally,
>> able to open Netscape/Tbird archived files.
>> 3.  What about my Nokia phone?  I've been using the Nokia SW for
>> years, changing with the phones over the years.  I'm presently using
>> the Nokia E90 Communicator and I prefer the Nokia PC Suite over their
>> monster Ovi for connecting the phone to my computer.  Once upon a
>> time (Nokia 9000 series) recognized Outlook, Lotus Notes, and other
>> PIMS, but it's down to Outlook.  All my contact info is in Outlook.
>> I know that I can pay $40 to get Outlook ported to Linux, and I'm
>> willing to do that if I can have the non-Outlook functions that PC
>> Suite gives me, i.e., managing images, making my phone a modem, etc.
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> 3.b.  Related to the Outlook issue, I see I can get Outlook for Linux
>> from Codeweavers for a nominal $40.  Any experiences?  Poking around
>> the intertubes, I see there is the Virtual Box alternative, too.
>>
>> 4.  What about my Canon printers?  I have an iP4300 doing office type
>> printing duty and from what I've dabbled, CUPS is fine for that.  But
>> so many of the color/quality types of settings aren't available
>> (unless I just didn't see the possibilities). I also have a Canon
>> 9000 MK II wide format "pro" photo printer
> Please keep me informed, I use the same printer, still on windows :-(((
> Rinus
I managed to install the printer driver  ¨easy photoprint ex¨on windows
xp in VB which works fine. However if you want to use the ¨easy
photoprint pro¨ you will have to install either photoshop or photoshop
elements (which came with your printer) of which it is a plugin. In my
case it says unfortunately ¨install exe is no valid win 32 executable¨,
which is of course not true but it prevents me from installing it.
If you want to try and need some specific details, ask.
have a nice day.
Rinus