[Digikam-users] How do I restore comments (captions), titles and tags from digiKamdatabase?

Larry CK blackravener at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 06:58:37 BST 2011

On Thu 22 Sep 2011 10:17:31 BST, sleepless wrote:
> Op 22-09-11 10:55, sleepless schreef:
>> Op 22-09-11 09:57, Larry schreef:
>>> If I understand correctly, reread metadata from image is reading data
>>> stored in EXIF in the Photo (JPG) file itself. In my case, I no longer
>>> have the files that had the metadata written to,
> Ok that road is closed.
>>> but I have the
>>> metadata in the database.
> If you have the info in the db and it is still linked to the photo´s
> (wich I think is impossible) but you can not write it to photo, you
> should check Settings->configure digikam->metadata->metadata writing
> mode.
>
> If that doesn´t help you can try Setting-.configure digikam->
> collections, remove your collection and add it again, maybe the link
> between photos and db info will be restored, but this is pure
> speculation.
> Please keep me informed.
> Rinus
>>>
>>> What happened in sequence was:
>>>
>>> 1. Taking pictures whilst camera time settings are incorrect
>>> 2. Transferring images (~1700) to dk album
>>> 3. Transferring another copy of the images to a subfolder within dk
>>> album
>>> 4. Adding title, caption and tags to about 200 of the images. I did
>>> not change file names or edited images, however I have rotated some of
>>> the images
>>> 5. Deciding to correct timestamps and messing things up
>>> 6. Removed all images with messed up timestamps from dk album
>> If you send them to trash from within dk they should the info should
>> not exist in the db
>>> 7. copied images from a backup (subfolder) to the dk album. Again -
>>> file names didn't change.
>> did you copy with filemanager and dk closed?
>>> 8. Did image -> reread metadata from image to no avail
>>> 9. Checked Database - my tags, titles and caption are in the database
>> if the tags exist in the db can you confirm they are still linked to
>> the pictures or is it just orphanaged info
>>> question still remains - how do I get digikam to read metadata from
>>> the database and assign it back to the images
>> Did you ever explicitly write your tags to picture?
>> Are your original pictures available from trash

Metadata writing settings only give various options to write metadata
to file and my problem is that I no longer have the files.

Removing and Adding collections didn't work

I also run a SQL Query SELECT images.name, imagecomments.comment,
imagecomments.type FROM images, imagecomments WHERE images.id =
imagecomments.imageid AND images.name LIKE 'DSCN0%' and sample of the
result is

DSCN0379.JPG	a window	3
DSCN0379.JPG	it looked like some king of political agenda leaflets in
the window	1

So the data is definitely in there.