[Digikam-users] How do I restore comments (captions), titles and tags from digiKamdatabase?

sleepless sleeplessregulus at hetnet.nl
Thu Sep 22 08:26:06 BST 2011

Op 22-09-11 07:17, RaveNBlack schreef:
> I had an album with over 1700 photos in there. I have tagged (titles,
> captions and tags, some geotags) couple hundred of them when I noticed that
> my timestamps are incorrect (I forgot to adjust my cameras clock after
> crossing several timezones). I attempted to correct this, but messed my
> timestamps even more. So I decided to start from scratch and have
> overwritten my pictures with messed up timestamps with untempered images
> from a backup.
>
> I did not change file names and I have not edited (except for rotating
> several images) any of the pictures (no color correction or anything). I was
> hoping that once I transfer images from the backup digikam will read
> metadata from the database (SQLite) and reassign to the images as file names
> are the same, file sizes are the same, etc. but that is not the case.
>
> How can I restore metadate from the database and assign it to the images
> again?

I copied a picture outside of dk. Changed in dk timestamps. Used
nautilus to put the copy back in the open dk album. Image->reread
metadata from image. Now I had my original timestamp back and the
formerly assigned tags are still there.
This can be done for a whole album: Album->reread metadata from images.

Second try I copied the image back outside of dk with dk closed, and
again all was restored.

For deeper investigation how you can solve if possible, I need more
specific information what you did and what happened.

Rinus