[Digikam-users] Any thoughts on RAM needs?

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Tue Sep 13 11:52:08 BST 2011

On Tuesday 13 September 2011 12:14:32 Rinus Bakker wrote:
> How about this, can anyone comment on it:
> jansen at jansen-HP-Pavilion-dv7-Notebook-PC:~$ free -m
> Mem:          3705       3672         32          0       1359       1307
> -/+ buffers/cache:       1006       2698
> Swap:         6171          0       6171
> jansen at jansen-HP-Pavilion-dv7-Notebook-PC:~$

One of the particularities of Linux is that any free RAM can be used to cache
disk reads, so the 'free' part of the 'Mem' line shows less free memory than
would be available to programs running (the 'cached' part can also be used for
program memory, slowing disk I/O a bit).

Swap (being disk space) isn't used for caching, so there the 'free' value is
correct. In this case, there's no swapping to disk ('used' is zero), so the OS
has still enough free RAM to work with, and lack of free RAM doesn't cause the
slowness (swapping to and from disk is slow...). Adding memory wouldn't have
much of an effect if this is the worst case...