[Digikam-users] Help needed on ubuntu 11.10 to nice not to share: Crisis management II how to clone pc1 into pc2

sleepless sleeplessregulus at hetnet.nl
Wed Oct 26 20:46:08 BST 2011

Crisis management II: This is to nice not to share

Only relevant if you work on two computeres and are stupid or unlucky
enough to mess at least one of them up without backup.

To setup my second pc without a backup was a lot easyer then the first one.

I found an old ISO of Ubuntu 11.04 and installed it.

To clone my laptop into my desktop I generated a list of installed software

dpkg --get-selections > installed-software

emailed this list "installed-software" to my home dir on my second pc

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

dpkg --set-selections < installed-software

sudo apt-get install dselect

sudo dselect

choosed to install the software

took a shower