[Digikam-users] Digikam and the KDE

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Sun Oct 9 14:26:59 BST 2011

Am Sonntag, 9. Oktober 2011 schrieb Karl Günter Wünsch:
> On Sunday 09 October 2011, Anders Lund wrote:
> > Difficult/new things are hard to achieve.
>
> There is nothing new about Akonadi or Nepomuk - but they are
> getting further and further away from ever becoming stable and
> usable for the average user. The more programs use these the less
> stable they become and the more resources are wasted on a database
> server (or two) just to support features almost nobody beyond the
> developers sees any sense in.
>
> > Not being able to use that lattest
> > kdepim myself, I look forward to doing that, as much as I enjoy
> > the evolving benefits of nepomuk. I agree that there is still
> > work to be done before it works, but the promises makes it worth
> > while :)
>
> It's going the direction of mandatory bloat - and all it promises
> to me only is even more bloat and data insecurity.
>
> > Already you do not need very much
> > in order to build kde applications, and digikam does not require
> > anything
>
> but
>
> > what it uses.
>
> I would like an option to have digikam not to include face
> detection (pure bloat, useless for 100% of my or my wife's
> pictures)

This is entirely against open source strategy: Release if early and
let it evolve. I remember the time where DK was almost unusable. Does
this mean not to release it at all? May be in two or four years face
recognition is one of the killer features but to get it there you have
to start somewhere. If it does not work for you don't use it.

> and have it not use either Nepomuk or Akonadi - those
> two I have never had any positive experience yet, only the need to
> delete corrupted databases because another software trashed the
> structure or the database server was unhappy about an update (or
> lack of update)...

I never had such problems with nepomuk. I tried the DK integration and
it worked flawless. As I don't need it I switched it off. The Akonadi
stuff is a different beast. The idea is great but I don't see the
benefit for DK.

> > If you do not want to go through the trouble of building the
> > software on
>
> your
>
> > own but still want to stay up to date, use a system/distro that
> > does ;)
>
> Akonadi and Nepomuk are IMHO broken by design - I want to be able
> to separate the information which is important to me (for example
> data from digikam) from data which is totally unimportant (some
> odd cache which can easily be regenerated) which is practically
> impossible with those two components... The worst offender isn't
> digikam, it's kmail 2 there the brokenness of the design extends
> to losing emails while downloading them from pop3 servers as the
> new data flow first downloads the email into the transient
> database cache and from that writes the message to the disk - when
> there is the slightest glitch in this chain the mail is trapped in
> the database (which eventually get's wiped out because of the ever
> recurring problems with the databases) and lost. So I would dearly
> love a digikam without any (even build time) dependency on either
> Nepomuk or Akonadi - not just an option to not use them, I want to
> totally disable Nepomuk or Akonadi on my system. So next time I
> get around to tinker with my system I will delete all programs
> which are dependent on these two components and whatever is gone
> is gone and I will look for alternatives...

Hm, afaik DK does not need nepomuk and akonadi if you compile it
yourself.

Martin