[Digikam-users] Digikam and the KDE

Karl Günter Wünsch kgw at mineralien-verkauf.de
Sun Oct 9 15:10:23 BST 2011

On Sunday 09 October 2011, Martin (KDE) wrote:
> This is entirely against open source strategy: Release if early and
> let it evolve.
> I remember the time where DK was almost unusable. Does
> this mean not to release it at all? May be in two or four years face
> recognition is one of the killer features but to get it there you have
> to start somewhere. If it does not work for you don't use it.
It also is a normal open source strategy to have rather controversial features
- especially if they depend on instable and pre beta libraries (which IMHO is
the state of the face detection libraries) - to be optional so that you can
leave them out.  I can't get one of the base libraries on which face detection
depends to compile on my system - so I have become accustomed to rip it out of
digikam whenever I compile a new version. It would really be easy to make it a
compile time option but my offer to create a patch was declined arguing that
it is impossible to compile digikam without face detection...
regards
Karl Günter