[Digikam-users] Re: More on backup

Johnny yggdrasil at gmx.co.uk
Wed Mar 2 11:27:13 GMT 2011

Jim Dory <james at dorydesign.com> writes:

> I'm an old crank, and even though I enjoyed the off topic discussion
> of how to backup photos,
The discussion is certainly off-topic as it doesn't concerns Digikam as an
application, and as such should probably be taken elsewhere, but backups
of photos is of concern to most people with digital photos.

> since it has devolved into jokes, I'm less than thrilled.
Yes, it was a jokingly style to digress about planets, whoever Graham
did point out an important and basic consideration in devising a back-up
strategy, which pretty much sums up the discussion; probabilities and
consequences, which is a function of redundancy and
diversification. This is the core of why backups are done.

Suggestions have involved:
- Single backup as well as dual back-ups on same type of media
(redundancy)
- Same location vs. different locations; in the cloud or at a friends
place (separation),
- Different storage media such as optical vs. magnetical
(diversification)

These are all considerations one should contemplate in choosing a back-up
strategy. What failures do you expect? What safety do you want to
achieve and at what cost/hassle? What level of functional and physical
separation is necessary to achieve those goals?

> Yeah I know, I'm an old cranky fellow - but how about you guys take
> your jokes to private tweets or something..  /j
Backups are a pretty boring topic, and most don't bother until it's too
late (as some have exemplified). To just make *any* backup puts you
pretty much safe, but things can still go wrong, so it is useful to
consider *why* and *how* to proceed, instead of mechanically doing it
because "it is good".

Apologies for any offence caused by using an informal style of writing,
that was certainly not the intention.

--
Johnny