[Digikam-users] Re: Digikam support Nikon D3100

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 16:21:53 GMT 2011

John,

2011/1/30 John Bestevaar <Josephus at people.net.au>:
> Dear Giles
> Thank you for your quick and clear reply.
> I will make more money donations in near future.

Thanks in advance...

> The reason for my question is:
> Launch Digikam > plug in USB cable > Turn on Nikon D3100 camera.
> Digikam tab: Import > cameras > Nikon DSC D3100 ( auto detected )
> When i click on the last item there is an Error message.
>
> "Failed to connect to the camera. Please make sure it is connected properly
> and turned on. Would you like to try again?"
>
> I assumed this means that my camera is not supported.

Nikon camera listed in digiKam import come from Gphoto2 library device
autodetection.

The error message come from Gphoto2

I'm sure that Nikon can be use in USB Mass  Storage mode. In this case
the camera will be detected as an USB key :

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond3100/page2.asp

Connectivity 	• USB 2.0 (Hi-Speed)
• Mass storage / PTP selectable      <-----------------------------
• A/V out
• HDMI out
• DC-IN (optional AC adapter and adapter connector)

To switch to UMS mode will be better in digiKam...