[Digikam-users] Re: DigiKam compilation instructions

Remco Viëtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Wed Jan 26 18:05:25 GMT 2011

on Wednesday 26 January 2011, Hevï Guy wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 15:12 +0100, Angelo Naselli wrote:
>

> > Well the right way should be to ask for it to your distro digikam/kipi-
plugins
> > maintainer.
> > Most distros backport or update these packages.
> >

> The Ubuntu maintainers aren't known for their ability (or willingness?!)
> to update packages. For example, the current version of DigiKam within
> the Ubuntu repositories is 1.4! Therefore, unless we wish to use an
> ancient version, we're forced to compile our own.

To their defense (and not only Ubuntu's), updating to a newer Digikam version
might imply upgrading a large part of the KDE packages: OpenSuse has Digikam
1.2.0 in the default installation, with the corresponding KDE version.
I can get the newer versions of Digikam, by using other, potientially less
stable repositories (KDE 4.5 for Digikam 1.7.0, and KDE 4.6 for DK 1.8.0).
That's not really a fault of OpenSuse, nor of Digikam/KDE.

So for us it's easy to say "Lousy distributors, can't even upgrade my
favourite program straight away". BUT, they have the obligation to make sure
that such an upgrade doesn't break someone else's favourite program....

Remco