[Digikam-users] Re: DigiKam compilation instructions

Erick Moreno erickmoreno at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 18:37:06 GMT 2011

Hevï,

In my system, I have exiv2 0.19 installed.
But I think that this ppa repository will not change your exiv2 installed
version, since it is grater than the one shipped in the repository.

Try update the Digikam, I don't believe that this will downgrade your exiv2.
If this happens, you can always upgrade your exiv2 again =/

Cheers
Erick Moreno

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Remco Viëtor <remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr>wrote:

> on Wednesday 26 January 2011, Hevï Guy wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 15:12 +0100, Angelo Naselli wrote:
> >

> > > Well the right way should be to ask for it to your distro digikam/kipi-
> plugins
> > > maintainer.
> > > Most distros backport or update these packages.
> > >

> > The Ubuntu maintainers aren't known for their ability (or willingness?!)
> > to update packages. For example, the current version of DigiKam within
> > the Ubuntu repositories is 1.4! Therefore, unless we wish to use an
> > ancient version, we're forced to compile our own.

> To their defense (and not only Ubuntu's), updating to a newer Digikam
> version
> might imply upgrading a large part of the KDE packages: OpenSuse has
> Digikam
> 1.2.0 in the default installation, with the corresponding KDE version.
> I can get the newer versions of Digikam, by using other, potientially less
> stable repositories (KDE 4.5 for Digikam 1.7.0, and KDE 4.6 for DK 1.8.0).
> That's not really a fault of OpenSuse, nor of Digikam/KDE.
>
> So for us it's easy to say "Lousy distributors, can't even upgrade my
> favourite program straight away". BUT, they have the obligation to make
> sure
> that such an upgrade doesn't break someone else's favourite program....
>
> Remco

*Erick Moreno*
http://flavors.me/erickmoreno