[Digikam-users] Re: DigiKam compilation instructions

Erick Moreno erickmoreno at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 17:19:42 GMT 2011

Hi Hevï,

You can just add the Phillip Johnsson's ppa repository:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:philip5/extra

This repository is constantly updated with release versions packed to
Ubuntu. After run the above command you can just run:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install digikam

And be updated.
I'm running 1.8.0 under Ubuntu 10.10 as a charm.

Cheers
Erick Moreno

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Hevï Guy <heviiguy at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 15:12 +0100, Angelo Naselli wrote:
>
>  Well the right way should be to ask for it to your distro digikam/kipi-plugins
> maintainer.
> Most distros backport or update these packages.
>

>  The Ubuntu maintainers aren't known for their ability (or willingness?!)
> to update packages. For example, the current version of DigiKam within the
> Ubuntu repositories is 1.4! Therefore, unless we wish to use an ancient
> version, we're forced to compile our own.
>
>  I see the problem in building source though...
>
>  No kidding!
>
> This is the crux: *Many of us are mere photographers rather than
> programming experts*. I'm sure that I speak for most people in my
> situation when I say that I am very appreciative of the effort that's put
> into developing this great program. However, we're also very frustrated that
> in order to use it, we have to compile not only the core program but also
> its dependencies. Granted, there are instructions available on the DigiKam
> site but, they are somewhat disjointed and incomplete. They take for granted
> that the non-coders will know what is missing and are thus able to fill-in
> the blanks.
>
> I'm not asking to be given something that we can install by the click of
> one button (although it would be nice!). All I'm asking for is that if we
> have to compile a bunch of stuff, a road map (a *detailed* road map) is
> provided. If anybody is willing to do this, pretend that you're writing it
> for a two year-old child. Then the instructions should be easy enough for us
> to follow. No wait: I'm sure that any two year-old living with a serious
> coder would be more capable than me. A better idea would be to write the
> instructions as if your hamster is to read it.

*Erick Moreno*
http://flavors.me/erickmoreno