[Digikam-users] DigiKam compilation instructions

Hevï Guy heviiguy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 16:31:01 GMT 2011

On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 15:12 +0100, Angelo Naselli wrote:

> Well the right way should be to ask for it to your distro digikam/kipi-plugins
> maintainer.
> Most distros backport or update these packages.

The Ubuntu maintainers aren't known for their ability (or willingness?!)
to update packages. For example, the current version of DigiKam within
the Ubuntu repositories is 1.4! Therefore, unless we wish to use an
ancient version, we're forced to compile our own.

> I see the problem in building source though...

No kidding!

This is the crux: Many of us are mere photographers rather than
programming experts. I'm sure that I speak for most people in my
situation when I say that I am very appreciative of the effort that's
put into developing this great program. However, we're also very
frustrated that in order to use it, we have to compile not only the core
program but also its dependencies. Granted, there are instructions
available on the DigiKam site but, they are somewhat disjointed and
incomplete. They take for granted that the non-coders will know what is
missing and are thus able to fill-in the blanks.

I'm not asking to be given something that we can install by the click of
one button (although it would be nice!). All I'm asking for is that if
we have to compile a bunch of stuff, a road map (a detailed road map) is
provided. If anybody is willing to do this, pretend that you're writing
it for a two year-old child. Then the instructions should be easy enough
for us to follow. No wait: I'm sure that any two year-old living with a
serious coder would be more capable than me. A better idea would be to
write the instructions as if your hamster is to read it.