[Digikam-users] Re: DigiKam compilation instructions

Tom Cloyd tc at tomcloyd.com
Wed Jan 26 17:53:06 GMT 2011

Thank you!!!

Following these very simple instructions, I have now installed Digikam
1.8.0 on my Kubuntu 10.10 Linux.

NOW, I strongly suggest that the Digikam website be updated to inform
others of this resource and installation option. More people should be
able to quickly enjoy the latest stable version.

The website should say something about this version's being compiled for
the Ubuntu family of Linux (which I assume is the right way to describe it).

Do that and we're really cookin', as they say!

Tom

On 01/26/2011 10:19 AM, Erick Moreno wrote:
> Hi Hevï,
>
> You can just add the Phillip Johnsson's ppa repository:
>
> sudo apt-add-repository ppa:philip5/extra
>
> This repository is constantly updated with release versions packed to
> Ubuntu. After run the above command you can just run:
>
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install digikam
>
> And be updated.
> I'm running 1.8.0 under Ubuntu 10.10 as a charm.
>
> Cheers
> Erick Moreno
>
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Hevï Guy <heviiguy at gmail.com
> <mailto:heviiguy at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 15:12 +0100, Angelo Naselli wrote:
>
>>     Well the right way should be to ask for it to your distro digikam/kipi-plugins
>>     maintainer.
>>     Most distros backport or update these packages.
>>
>     The Ubuntu maintainers aren't known for their ability (or
>     willingness?!) to update packages. For example, the current
>     version of DigiKam within the Ubuntu repositories is 1.4!
>     Therefore, unless we wish to use an ancient version, we're forced
>     to compile our own.
>
>>     I see the problem in building source though...
>     No kidding!
>
>     This is the crux: *Many of us are mere photographers rather than
>     programming experts*. I'm sure that I speak for most people in my
>     situation when I say that I am very appreciative of the effort
>     that's put into developing this great program. However, we're also
>     very frustrated that in order to use it, we have to compile not
>     only the core program but also its dependencies. Granted, there
>     are instructions available on the DigiKam site but, they are
>     somewhat disjointed and incomplete. They take for granted that the
>     non-coders will know what is missing and are thus able to fill-in
>     the blanks.
>
>     I'm not asking to be given something that we can install by the
>     click of one button (although it would be nice!). All I'm asking
>     for is that if we have to compile a bunch of stuff, a road map (a
>     *detailed* road map) is provided. If anybody is willing to do
>     this, pretend that you're writing it for a two year-old child.
>     Then the instructions should be easy enough for us to follow. No
>     wait: I'm sure that any two year-old living with a serious coder
>     would be more capable than me. A better idea would be to write the
>     instructions as if your hamster is to read it.

> --
> *Erick Moreno*
> http://flavors.me/erickmoreno

"Sow a thought and you reap an action; sow an act and you reap
a habit; sow a habit and you reap a character; sow a character
and you reap a destiny." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)
Tom Cloyd, MS MA
Private practice Psychotherapist
St. George, Utah, U.S.A: (435) 272-3332
<<  tc at tomcloyd.com>>  (email)
<<  TomCloyd.com>>  (website)
<<  sleightmind.wordpress.com>>  (mental health issues weblog)