[Digikam-users] Re: Digikam database

jag59 jldeshpande at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 11:39:06 GMT 2011

I need to make sure I backup the Digikam database but there is no option
I've found for this in Digikam so I was just going to copy the file.
Then I found I have more than one database file apparently and I have no
idea now if this is correct or they have been left lying around from
when I started with Digikam and was experimenting. Having had a hardware
failure recently I need to make sure in future I do backup the
database(s) OK. I do already backup the photos.

Can someone please clarify the database structure. I am currently using 1.6.

Stuart
--
Website: http://www.stella-maris.org.uk
or:      http://www.broadstairs.org

Hi Stuart,
It is very simple.
There are 2 database files of digikam,
1)digikam4.db
2)thumbnails-digikam.db
These 2 are created and placed at the path given by you at
DK>settings>configure digikam>collections>database file path.
Say in 'collections',I have set the path to 'my photos' directory as my
local collections,then I give the same path for database i.e. 'my photos'
directory.
With 'luckybackup' I backup my 'my photos' directory. The database
automatically gets backed-up as it resides in the same directory.
If you have not used 'luckybackup' before,pl. get acquainted with it before
doing actual backups........and it is worth enough.
I have a wish....DK should include a option to backup our photos using this
'luckybackup' or any preferred application as a back end. It will have a
much professional feel!

-----
Jagdeesh Deshpande.
Registered Linux user #492893