[Digikam-users] Re: DK issues, bang head here

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Fri Feb 4 16:53:26 GMT 2011

on Friday 04 February 2011, Paul Verizzo wrote:
> There's a lot I love about digiKam, but it's getting to be like a date
> in high school.  Lots of promises........
>
> I've asked the questionhere about using the CIMG resizer, no useful
> response.  Let me try again.
>
> I can select an image, set a new size, click on the CIMG box, hit Try.
> In the lower left corner, a percentage number scrolls upward for ten
> seconds or so.  If I do a Save As, all I get is an 81 bit placeholder
> file with the new name.  And no option to save as a type, JPEG, PNG,
> whatever. If I do an OK, it asks me if I want to save the file.  I do.
> Same results.   What am I doing wrong?????  Is it me?  DigiKam?  Or a
> failure of the Windows (1.7) compilation?

I, personally, tried to explain twice why it didn't work the way you expected,
second time: no response. If I'm not clear enough, say so, don't claim you
didn't get answers.

> 2.  I get frequent "JPEG Library Error" messages.  "Not a JPEG file.
> Starts with xxxxxx"   It happens after the above and at many other
> times, even as I just open and close images.  Since it usually appears
> while under open windows I haven't been able to define what makes it
> happen.  Sometimes the message appears when I'm not even touching DK,
> it's just running in the background and I'm doing other things.

That could be an error from the jpeg library under windows. Gilles Caulier
told you as much...

> 3.  If I select a file and open Metadata & Tags on the right, I can't
> type any information into the fields with the exception of Caption.  The
> handbook implies I can type into the fields, I can't get a cursor to
> place in any field except Captions.  I can use the menu to write
> metadata, but that's sort of indirect and clunkier.

There is no tab on the right 'metadata & tags'... For metadata there is a
possiblity to edit them (menu: Image -> metadata, and then select the option
you want). the Caption/Tags tab allows you to ,emm, set the caption and tags
you want (oh yes, and the rating)

> 4.  Lack of thumbnail due to 48 bit image or, apparently, large file
> size.  If I scan at 48 bit, I get a balloon.  Last night I scanned a neg
> into PNG resulting in a file of about 23mb.  Balloon.

PNG is lossless, and could be uncompressed, and then the files will be big
(10Mpixels will give you an 80MB+ file if uncompressed). Still, Tiff tends to
be worse. Not something Digikam can do a lot about