[Digikam-users] DK issues, bang head here

Paul Verizzo paulv at paulv.net
Fri Feb 4 14:09:33 GMT 2011

There's a lot I love about digiKam, but it's getting to be like a date
in high school.  Lots of promises........

I've asked the questionhere about using the CIMG resizer, no useful
response.  Let me try again.

I can select an image, set a new size, click on the CIMG box, hit Try.
In the lower left corner, a percentage number scrolls upward for ten
seconds or so.  If I do a Save As, all I get is an 81 bit placeholder
file with the new name.  And no option to save as a type, JPEG, PNG,
whatever. If I do an OK, it asks me if I want to save the file.  I do.
Same results.   What am I doing wrong?????  Is it me?  DigiKam?  Or a
failure of the Windows (1.7) compilation?

2.  I get frequent "JPEG Library Error" messages.  "Not a JPEG file.
Starts with xxxxxx"   It happens after the above and at many other
times, even as I just open and close images.  Since it usually appears
while under open windows I haven't been able to define what makes it
happen.  Sometimes the message appears when I'm not even touching DK,
it's just running in the background and I'm doing other things.

3.  If I select a file and open Metadata & Tags on the right, I can't
type any information into the fields with the exception of Caption.  The
handbook implies I can type into the fields, I can't get a cursor to
place in any field except Captions.  I can use the menu to write
metadata, but that's sort of indirect and clunkier.

4.  Lack of thumbnail due to 48 bit image or, apparently, large file
size.  If I scan at 48 bit, I get a balloon.  Last night I scanned a neg
into PNG resulting in a file of about 23mb.  Balloon.

Maybe I'll just have to forego using some of the features and stick to
what works, and a lot works well!  I really, really want that CIMG
thingy to work as a lot of great shots were done way back when 2mp was
as good as it got.

If anything in my list needs to be reported as a bug, let me know.

I VERY appreciate all of the work that goes into this project!  Maybe
I'll just have to learn to live with the shortcomings until version 3 or
something!