[Digikam-users] Generic Linux question

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Sun Aug 28 08:13:13 BST 2011

On Saturday 27 August 2011 22:52:11 FireFly wrote:
> Not sure entirely how they get updated, other than updated when someone
> creates a new package.
>
> I'm on Arch Linux and that is at Digikam 2.0, although I'll warn you it's
> NOT a eassy install (compared to say Ubuntu, or PCLinuxOS or...)

One thing that slows down the appearance of new versions is dependencies.
For me, updating to Digikam 2.0 implied updating to KDE 4.7, which is a lot of
packages to update. Packagers have to ensure that everything works with the
'standard' installation of a given distribution version,and they might
hesitate to change that much (KDE 4.6 -> 4.7 has a few important changes in
for instance e-mail handling).

Also, They often add patches of their own (bug corrections, etc).

Fwiw, OpenSuSE (11.4 for me) often has the newest versions reasonably quickly
if you are willing to use some 'non-standard' repositories.

Remco