[Digikam-users] Not opening in Mint problem solved

Dr. Martin Senftleben drmartinus at drmartinus.de
Mon Aug 22 17:06:51 BST 2011

Am 22.08.2011 14:20, schrieb Paul Verizzo:
> Sort of.  Dumped Mint.
>
> I wiped the partition and installed PC Linux OS, figuring that it's a
> native KDE distro.  (And not related to Ubuntu, which from here seems to
> have lots of issues.)
>
> I started poking around on the Menu, and there dK was already!  Not
> installed, but the link which installed it w/o issue. I was surprised to
> see that it was 1.9.x.

That's the version most distros have right now. For more up-to-date
versions you need to find the appropriate repository.

> BUT, now dk doesn't see my three albums.  During installation I pointed
> it to my database which I keep in C:\Documents and Settings, app data,
> yada yada.  If I opened up Settings, it acknowledged my three folders
> for albums.  But no albums in the tree view.  What the heck, I deleted
> those and re-added them.  DK did its image search, but still no albums.

Linux doesn't know drive letters like C:\ and doesn't use backslashes.
The drive must be mounted into a folder which is usually under "/mnt/"
or under "/media/". Have a look there, if you didn't check there
already. If nothing is in there, you probably will have to learn a
little bit about using the console in Linux.
But maybe the drive with the albums is somewhere (I don't know the
desktop's lookalike in PC Linux OS) in the menu or so. By clicking on
it, it probably will be mounted. At least that's what it does on my
Linux Mint.

> I like the PCLOS a lot, BTW.  At least as much as Mint, maybe more.
> Negative: The GRUB loader doesn't have a default OS after X seconds, it
> just sits there.  Mint has a GRUB settings function, haven't found
> similar in PCL.  Haven't looked for the ini file yet, either, to
> manually change it.

You can set that in the grub configuration, but don't ask me where and

> Just to show I'm going to the ends of the digital earth for digiKam on
> Linux, I'm in the process of installing Virtual Box on my XP. Wow, I'd
> forgotten what a head banger that is!

For virtual box you would also have to make the particular partition (C:
in windows, /mnt/... in Linux) accessible, which is not possible without
mounting the drive and is a bit complex as well (you have to create a
"shared folder").

Hope that helps,

Martin