[Digikam-users] Even Digikam 1.4 doesn't run on my Xubuntu 10.04 system - help!

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Mon Sep 6 14:15:46 BST 2010

This is very frustrating, I've been trying to work out exactly what
makes Digikam crash on my system without much luck.  I'm running
Digikam 1.2 on xubuntu 10.04 (I have actually tried a later Digikam
from the PPA repository but it acted just the same).

It's obviously something quite specific and subtle as, for most cases,
Digikam runs OK, i.e. :-

    If I login as another user and 'ssh -X -l chris localhost' back to
    myself then digikam runs OK.

    If I 'ssh -l someoneelse -X localhost' on my desktop and run
    digikam as that user then digikam runs OK.

However running digikam as myself on my desktop crashes.  If I remove
most of my configuration (i.e.  remove all of my .xxxxxx hidden files)
then digikam will run as myself on my desktop.  The trouble is there
doesn't seem to be one specific bit of configuration that makes
Digikam crash.  I've spent hours adding things back bit by bit to see
if I can work out the problem but I got all the way back to my
configured desktop and Digikam worked, then the next day after
shutting down and powering up again it was crashing.

It's not the picture files, I can remove the albums completely and
start empty and Digikam still crashes.

Can anyone offer any help or ideas to sort this out, I really need
Digikam working to manage my photos and don't want to have to wait
until a major update before it runs again.

--
Chris Green