[Digikam-users] Even Digikam 1.4 doesn't run on my Xubuntu 10.04 system - help!

Gerben Roest g.roest at grepit.nl
Mon Sep 6 14:50:02 BST 2010

On 06-09-10 15:15, Chris G wrote:
> This is very frustrating, I've been trying to work out exactly what
> makes Digikam crash on my system without much luck.  I'm running
> Digikam 1.2 on xubuntu 10.04 (I have actually tried a later Digikam
> from the PPA repository but it acted just the same).
>
> It's obviously something quite specific and subtle as, for most cases,
> Digikam runs OK, i.e. :-
>
>     If I login as another user and 'ssh -X -l chris localhost' back to
>     myself then digikam runs OK.
>
>     If I 'ssh -l someoneelse -X localhost' on my desktop and run
>     digikam as that user then digikam runs OK.
>
> However running digikam as myself on my desktop crashes.  If I remove
> most of my configuration (i.e.  remove all of my .xxxxxx hidden files)
> then digikam will run as myself on my desktop.  The trouble is there
> doesn't seem to be one specific bit of configuration that makes
> Digikam crash.  I've spent hours adding things back bit by bit to see
> if I can work out the problem but I got all the way back to my
> configured desktop and Digikam worked, then the next day after
> shutting down and powering up again it was crashing.
>
> It's not the picture files, I can remove the albums completely and
> start empty and Digikam still crashes.
>
> Can anyone offer any help or ideas to sort this out, I really need
> Digikam working to manage my photos and don't want to have to wait
> until a major update before it runs again.

As I wrote in a reply to your other mail about digikam crashing:

I also updated to Ubuntu 10.04 (from 8.04, 8,10, 9.04, 9.10) and got the
same crashes as my regular user, but not as a new test-user. I fixed it
by deleting .gconf/system. This directory didn't exist in the $HOME of
the test-user.

I found it out by trial-and-error, and just searching what was in my
normal user's homedir and not in the test user's. Also "strace" helped a
bit.

I hope this works for you too, but please backup this dir just in case.

Gerben

--

Grep IT                      tel: 0252-769005
Egelantier 3                 fax: 0252-769006
2211 NN Noordwijkerhout     g.roest at grepit.nl
The Netherlands