[Digikam-users] OS X?

gerlos gerlosgm at gmail.com
Sun May 30 23:05:43 BST 2010

Il giorno 30/mag/2010, alle ore 23.18, Vlado Plaga ha scritto:

> But have you tried using Linux on your Mac? I mainly need Mac OS for
> the Adobe Flash plugin, for 3D acceleration, and for the "sleep" mode
> (standby) - all of which should also work with Linux on newer, i.e.
> Intel Macs.

Maybe I'm slightly OT if I say that latest Kubuntu, 10.4, runs wonderfully on my Macbook Pro 5.5 (almost "out of the box"), and I run Digikam on it.
I don't like proprietary software, but I did a compromise and installed the wireless and the nvidia proprietary driver (to get 3D acceleration) and adobe flash plugin, and everything runs wonderfully: my macbook pro goes to sleep mode when I close the lid and restores as I open it, just takes some seconds more than Os X.

Still, Kubuntu seems to use just a little more power than Os X (I measured it since I needed to know how long will my battery last), and the multi-touvh touchpad works but it's not as comfortable as in Os X (but I prefer using a bluetooth mighty mouse, anyway).

See: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro
Hope it will be useful.

regards
gerlos

--
"Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more
of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something