[Digikam-users] OS X?

Vlado Plaga rechner at vlado-do.de
Sun May 30 22:18:27 BST 2010

I previously had success in building digiKam via MacPorts (version 1.0
and 1.1), but more often then not some dependencies were broken, and it
also is like that right now:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/25076

I think I can fix this by creating a new Portfile without the gtk1
dependency. But it might take a few days and maybe the kipi-plugins and
digikam maintainer is faster.

Indeed building digiKam with all the dependencies (especially qt4-mac)
can take a few days, but I don't mind that so much, as long as it
processes without any interaction.

In case you use MacPorts for more than just digiKam you might want to
use "port -n" for future updates and installation of individual ports,
so that not all maybe just slightly modified ports are updated whenever
you just want to install or update one new port.

Here is a screenshot of digiKam on my Mac OS X desktop:
http://www.vlado-do.de/free_software/digikam_1.0rc_macosx.png

But have you tried using Linux on your Mac? I mainly need Mac OS for
the Adobe Flash plugin, for 3D acceleration, and for the "sleep" mode
(standby) - all of which should also work with Linux on newer, i.e.
Intel Macs.

Regards,
Vlado