[Digikam-users] Timestamps - sorting of Videos within photos

Micha Neubauer Micha.Neubauer at yahoo.de
Wed Jun 16 17:50:40 BST 2010

> On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 8:42 AM, Micha Neubauer <Micha.Neubauer at yahoo.de>wrote:
> > Hello everybody!
> >
> > I realized that my self-made Videos with my small digiKam are not sorted
> > correctly within
> > my photos (I always have my images sorted by date).
> > The videos usually appear grouped together at the right date, but not at
> > the right point
> > in the timeline. For example, I take a video, then a photo and then a
> > video again; then
> > they are not shown in this order, but the to videos are put side by side.
> > The only way I can change this order and then put the video displayed at
> > the right time is
> > changing the time stamp manually to the correct time under "Image -->
> > adjust time&date".
> >
> > Do you experience the same problem with Videos?
> >
> > And a related question:
> > What exactly are these DigiKam-Timestamps?
> > When I change the timestamps, neither exif, xmp, creation date or any one
> > of these is
> > changed. And where are the timestamps stored?
> > Videos do not even have exif or xmp files...
> >
> > Thanks a lot for the help and advice

> On Sunday 13 June 2010, 21:16:59 Tim Jenness wrote:
> When files are copied off the camera the copied file will either have the
> creation date of the original or it will have the creation date of the copy
> (since the copy has just been created). I'm not sure what happens when you
> use digikam to import directly from a camera but if you use unix cp you
> need to use the "-p" option.
>
> Once you've got it copied without changing the date digikam will sort it
> properly but this is a bit of an unreliable operation because it's not
> using any embedded metadata. The first thing I use is the digikam rename
> tool to rename all the videos to include the date in the filename. At
> least then if the database is corrupted or the creation date is lost then
> you can reconstruct it from the filename.
>
> What we really need is for exiv2 to be able to read metadata from the
> videos. MP4 videos from an iPhone and AVCHD files from my Canon camcorder
> do have the date embedded as metadata but exiv2 does not understand how to
> read video metadata yet. I hope it's coming at some point. It would also
> be nice if digikam could read the orientation metadata from iPhone videos
> to understand portrait vs landscape.
>
> Tim

Hello, Thanks for the answer!
My experience is, that Videos are sorted according to the date (creation date probably),
but not according to the time. When I put a digiKam timestamp the photo is sorted
correctly. But what are those timestamps?
Does anybody have an idea. I guess they are saved in the DigiKam database and not with the
file itself; is this correct?