[Digikam-users] Timestamps - sorting of Videos within photos

Tim Jenness tim.jenness at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 20:16:59 BST 2010

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 8:42 AM, Micha Neubauer <Micha.Neubauer at yahoo.de>wrote:

> Hello everybody!
>
> I realized that my self-made Videos with my small digiKam are not sorted
> correctly within
> my photos (I always have my images sorted by date).
> The videos usually appear grouped together at the right date, but not at
> the right point
> in the timeline. For example, I take a video, then a photo and then a video
> again; then
> they are not shown in this order, but the to videos are put side by side.
> The only way I can change this order and then put the video displayed at
> the right time is
> changing the time stamp manually to the correct time under "Image -->
> adjust time&date".
>
> Do you experience the same problem with Videos?
>
> And a related question:
> What exactly are these DigiKam-Timestamps?
> When I change the timestamps, neither exif, xmp, creation date or any one
> of these is
> changed. And where are the timestamps stored?
> Videos do not even have exif or xmp files...
>
> Thanks a lot for the help and advice

When files are copied off the camera the copied file will either have the
creation date of the original or it will have the creation date of the copy
(since the copy has just been created). I'm not sure what happens when you
use digikam to import directly from a camera but if you use unix cp you need
to use the "-p" option.

Once you've got it copied without changing the date digikam will sort it
properly but this is a bit of an unreliable operation because it's not using
any embedded metadata. The first thing I use is the digikam rename tool to
rename all the videos to include the date in the filename. At least then if
the database is corrupted or the creation date is lost then you can
reconstruct it from the filename.

What we really need is for exiv2 to be able to read metadata from the
videos. MP4 videos from an iPhone and AVCHD files from my Canon camcorder do
have the date embedded as metadata but exiv2 does not understand how to read
video metadata yet. I hope it's coming at some point. It would also be nice
if digikam could read the orientation metadata from iPhone videos to
understand portrait vs landscape.

Tim