[Digikam-users] Black and white images

Vasilis Yiannakos billyiannakos at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 19:31:39 GMT 2010

With the "almost random" I just want to emphasize that when you shoot
B&W within the camera, you get always the same result (a desaturated
image with some basic filtering...) On the other hand, when you convert
to b&w you have full authority over the result, so you can apply
limitless filtering over the initial color, so that you can get any
contrast / tone result you want! I too shoot b&w with my cameras (so
that I will be able to check the image directly on b&w on the screen),
but then always convert the raw to b&w on the PC!
Sure, digikam is somehow basic to its b&w conversion, but there are
plenty of other methods....

By the way, in my case (I use Olympus E-3 and Panasonic LX-3) digikam
shows the raws as I shoot them (b&w)

Vasilis Yiannakos
billyiannakos(at)gmail.com
www.yiannakos.gr