[Digikam-users] Black and white images

davidvincentjones davidvj at verizon.net
Sat Jan 30 10:14:23 GMT 2010

I am not sure what you mean (or imply) by "random". I am usaware of anything
random in my raw data and I would never 'hang my hat' on  the JPG format.

I am using a Canon 50D and when I use the B/W setting my tests indicate
better results than shooting in Color and then converting. I do not use the
DK 'filtering' or other options; they do not appear to be helpful personally
for me.

In most instances I find very 'acceptable' results using DK although I must
admit to using UFRaw for some batch work and on rare occasions I use
CinePaint for part of the process when dealing with extremly difficult
highlights and if I am pushed into "dodging and burning".  I do not
subscribe to Gimp due to the 8 bit limitation which becomes, to me, quite
apparent in monochrome.

For me, there is an entirely different 'feel' in working in the B/W mode
that I am better able to capture with the 'long shoulder' and B/W settings
on my camera. ... maybe that's just me.

I  am fairly comfortable sticking, for the most part, with DK for both
monochrome as well as color. A little more sophisticated adjustment in some
areas of luminescence would be most welcome for sure .... but I am sure that
it will come in good time. After 50 years in a darkroom, DK is a real
winner.