[Digikam-users] How to best save images

Andrew Goodbody ajg02 at elfringham.co.uk
Sun Jan 24 10:28:53 GMT 2010

Martin Senftleben wrote:
> When I download the images, I could let digikam transfer the images
> into the png format. Would that be ok, i.e. without any loss? Or would
> it still be better to keep both the raw image and the png image?

Converting from raw to anything you will lose data. Converting from raw
includes various processes such as de-mosaicing and applying white balance.

> Or would it be ok to take pictures as jpg and on download transfer
> them to the png format? Would the results be the same?

You get two stages of loss just getting to the jpg image so no, the
results would not be the same. First you have the raw conversion as
above and then the jpg file itself is a lossy compression.

Storage is cheap, data is irreplaceable. However you must choose where
your priorities are.

Andrew