[Digikam-users] How to best save images

Martin Senftleben DrMartinus at drmartinus.de
Sun Jan 24 08:31:08 GMT 2010

After the discussion about quality loss etc. with different file
formats, I would like some recommendation.
In order to save space on the camera card, it would be best to use
only jpg format, but it's not the highest quality. So I'd rather use
the raw format (I just got a Canon EOS 7D) to take pictures, even
though that takes more space on the card (then I buy a few more),
because I tend to forget to press the raw button on the camera when a
valuable picture is taken.
When I download the images, I could let digikam transfer the images
into the png format. Would that be ok, i.e. without any loss? Or would
it still be better to keep both the raw image and the png image?
Or would it be ok to take pictures as jpg and on download transfer
them to the png format? Would the results be the same?

Thanks for any comments. If there is something to read up about it,
I'd be glad to be pointed to it.

Martin
--
E-Mail digital signiert mit Hilfe von GPG -
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Privacy_Guard