[Digikam-users] Compiling 1.0.0 for KDE 4.3.4 for Windows

Peter Shute pshute at nuw.org.au
Tue Jan 12 05:42:14 GMT 2010

Patrick Spendrin wrote on Tuesday, 12 January 2010 1:46 PM:

>> I'm starting from scratch on a different computer so I can play with
>> this without worrying about losing any data.  I'm trying to follow
>> the instructions at http://www.digikam.org/drupal/node/402.  Can
>> anyone please explain why this isn't working for me?
>>
>> The first difference I see compared to the screen shots in those
>> instruction is at the second step.  The screen shots show a choice
>> of  MinGW or MSVC compilers.  But I get a choice of MinGW4, MinGW,
>> or MSVC 32 bit.  The instructions say to choose MinGW, so that's
>> what I did.  Is that correct?

> Well, I would recommend to use mingw4 instead if you want to use the
> Open Source compiler

If I want to?  Is there an alternative?  I assumed the code would probably only work ok with compilers it's been tested on.  Not that I have any other compiler I'd prefer to use.

>> At the 4th step (i.e. 4th row of screen shots) it says to select the
>> gcc-minw compiler from the devel-tools, but the closest thing I see
>> is just called gcc.  Is that correct?
> You can use either this compiler, or simply use the latest compiler
> from mingw.org
>>
>> Then it suggests I could include the pre-compiled digiKam from the
>> KDE group, but it isn't there.  It says this is optional and
>> doesn't, but this makes me worried now.
>>
>> It says to download kdebase, kdeedu, kdelibs, kdepimlibs, and kdesdk
>> from the KDE grouip.  None of these are there, so I can't even
>> proceed by guessing.
>>
> Yeah, this is because mingw (gcc 3.4.5) is to old and no new packages
> are provided anymore. This will change if you switch to mingw4.

>> Any suggestions, anyone?  Should I be using a different compiler
>> now?  If I choose MinGW4 or MSVC 32 bit I can find kdebase-apps,
>> kdebase-runtime and kde-workspace. Are they, or one one them, the
>> equivalent of kdebase?  In either case, kdesk is still not
>> available.
>>
> The package you are looking for is kdebase-runtime. The other two are
> of no interest when compiling digikam.

OK, I see that now in the screen shot.  The text is being descriptive rather than precise.

> The kdesdk package should be there, if not please note here which
> mirror you are using.

I'm using winkde.org.  It seems to have less stuff missing than others I've tried, so I've been using just that one.

I just tried installing using the exact version mentioned in the instructions (KDE 4.1.2), even using the same installer (0.9.3), in order to confirm that it can be done.  I found that some of the components still had different names (no -mingw on the end), but the versions of them matched the screen shots, so I was able to reach the installation stage fairly confidant I had selected the right things.

But then some of the chosen components were unavailable for download so I had to ignore them to proceed.  When I repeated the procedure to try to get these missing components, the installer no longer allowed me to select Developer mode, and was defaulting to MSVC compiler, so I had to give up again.  What should one do when that happens?