[Digikam-users] Compiling 1.0.0 for KDE 4.3.4 for Windows

Patrick Spendrin ps_ml at gmx.de
Tue Jan 12 17:12:26 GMT 2010

Peter Shute schrieb:
> Patrick Spendrin wrote on Tuesday, 12 January 2010 1:46 PM:
>
>>> I'm starting from scratch on a different computer so I can play with
>>> this without worrying about losing any data.  I'm trying to follow
>>> the instructions at http://www.digikam.org/drupal/node/402.  Can
>>> anyone please explain why this isn't working for me?
>>>
>>> The first difference I see compared to the screen shots in those
>>> instruction is at the second step.  The screen shots show a choice
>>> of  MinGW or MSVC compilers.  But I get a choice of MinGW4, MinGW,
>>> or MSVC 32 bit.  The instructions say to choose MinGW, so that's
>>> what I did.  Is that correct?
>
>> Well, I would recommend to use mingw4 instead if you want to use the
>> Open Source compiler
>
> If I want to?  Is there an alternative?  I assumed the code would probably only work ok with compilers it's been tested on.  Not that I have any other compiler I'd prefer to use.
Well, you can always use Microsofts Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition
which is the compiler we use for the msvc binaries.

>>> At the 4th step (i.e. 4th row of screen shots) it says to select the
>>> gcc-minw compiler from the devel-tools, but the closest thing I see
>>> is just called gcc.  Is that correct?
>> You can use either this compiler, or simply use the latest compiler
>> from mingw.org
>>> Then it suggests I could include the pre-compiled digiKam from the
>>> KDE group, but it isn't there.  It says this is optional and
>>> doesn't, but this makes me worried now.
>>>
>>> It says to download kdebase, kdeedu, kdelibs, kdepimlibs, and kdesdk
>>> from the KDE grouip.  None of these are there, so I can't even
>>> proceed by guessing.
>>>
>> Yeah, this is because mingw (gcc 3.4.5) is to old and no new packages
>> are provided anymore. This will change if you switch to mingw4.
>
>>> Any suggestions, anyone?  Should I be using a different compiler
>>> now?  If I choose MinGW4 or MSVC 32 bit I can find kdebase-apps,
>>> kdebase-runtime and kde-workspace. Are they, or one one them, the
>>> equivalent of kdebase?  In either case, kdesk is still not
>>> available.
>>>
>> The package you are looking for is kdebase-runtime. The other two are
>> of no interest when compiling digikam.
>
> OK, I see that now in the screen shot.  The text is being descriptive rather than precise.
>
>> The kdesdk package should be there, if not please note here which
>> mirror you are using.
>
> I'm using winkde.org.  It seems to have less stuff missing than others I've tried, so I've been using just that one.
yes, that is the seed server.

> I just tried installing using the exact version mentioned in the instructions (KDE 4.1.2), even using the same installer (0.9.3), in order to confirm that it can be done.  I found that some of the components still had different names (no -mingw on the end), but the versions of them matched the screen shots, so I was able to reach the installation stage fairly confidant I had selected the right things.
This doesn't really make sense.
Even if you get a KDE installed & working which is that old (that is ~
1.5 years now) you wouldn't get current digikam code compiling against
it. This is also the main problem why there are no newer digikam
releases yet. in KDE 4.3.4.

> But then some of the chosen components were unavailable for download so I had to ignore them to proceed.  When I repeated the procedure to try to get these missing components, the installer no longer allowed me to select Developer mode, and was defaulting to MSVC compiler, so I had to give up again.  What should one do when that happens?
If you have chosen developer mode once on an install directory, you
shouldn't change that later on. The default to the msvc compiler is
probably a bug though.

regards,
Patrick