[Digikam-users] lost all tags on canon raw images

Jim Dory james at dorydesign.com
Mon Feb 22 17:25:17 GMT 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 1:06 AM, Andrew Goodbody <ajg02 at elfringham.co.uk>wrote:

> Jim Dory wrote:
> > Well, I just looked at DNG and it seems to work okay writing tags to
> > metadata. I used the DNG converter under tools to convert a cr2 file. It
> > shaved the image down from 7.5 MB to 6.9MB. Not significant for my Canon
> > 30d but maybe if I upgrade to the much larger image size of say the 7D,
> > then it may start getting important. I did a brief google on the subject
> > and I didn't find that it has any deleterious effects so far - maybe
> > some more research is in order. Had you considered doing that and if so,
> > why did you reject it? It is one more (or a couple) steps in post
> > processing which isn't great.
>
> I tried converting a .cr2 file to .dng. I then imported both files into
> ufraw. The results were not the same. This shows that the data is being
> processed in some manner. As the point of shooting in raw is to have
> unprocessed data available I will not use .dng.
>
> Andrew

Thanks for that Andrew,

I'll have to look a bit more closely. DNG is raw. The image I tested on did
initially look different but then I noticed the tint and temperature (using
Bridge) sliders were at different points. So I made them match and the image
looked exactly the same (comparing CR2 and DNG). So am curious about your
results.

http://www.gerhard.fr/DAM/part2.html  (near bottom of page.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Negative_%28file_format%29

 /jim