[Digikam-users] lost all tags on canon raw images

Andrew Goodbody ajg02 at elfringham.co.uk
Tue Feb 23 09:32:16 GMT 2010

Jim Dory wrote:
> I'll have to look a bit more closely. DNG is raw. The image I tested on
> did initially look different but then I noticed the tint and temperature
> (using Bridge) sliders were at different points. So I made them match
> and the image looked exactly the same (comparing CR2 and DNG). So am
> curious about your results.
>
> http://www.gerhard.fr/DAM/part2.html  (near bottom of page.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Negative_%28file_format%29

dng is one form of raw, but there is no common meaning of raw amongst
camera manufacturers, which is one of the reasons for creating dng, to
try and improve interoperability. I don't know what is done when
converting from Canon cr2 to dng and my test was very simple. It seems
that it may have been too simple and maybe I should try it again.
However I am not happy that by default the sliders need adjusting to get
the same results. It'll be a while before I get to this though.

Andrew