[Digikam-users] Re: Newb discovers the perils of "endorsed" PPAs!

Gert Kello gert.kello at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 16:06:23 GMT 2010

Hi

> Before you go nuclear, you can try a purge of philip johnson's repositiory.
>
> I assume you've still got the .debs you built recently.
>
> sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
> sudo ppa-purge  ppa:philip5/extra (this removes anything that's been installed from philip's PPA, replaces it with the standard items from the ubuntu repository, and disables the PPA)
> now re-install the .debs you built.
>
> Hopefully this will sort you out.

I'm quite a newbie in linux also, so I have no experience in situation
like You are, but:

You might need to make new clean build of digikam and other libraries.
In the case some packages were already installed from philip's PPA
before the first build. The old build might be incompatible with
packages from ubuntu repositories. I recommend deleting the "build"
folders before starting. I did omit this step once after I upgraded
KDE base libraries, and then I needed to do a second clean build.

I also recommend uninstalling any packages You are building Yourself
before installing the locally built ones. Or better even uninstall
them before starting building of packages. (That prevents them beeing
ovewritten by the possible updates coming from ubunutu repository.
Maybe building .deb files and installing them also offers some
safeguards, but I personally have not build a single .deb file yet)

And strictly speaking You actually do not not to build the .deb files.
Simple "sudo make install" is enough if the prefix was configured to
be /usr (or /usr/local). (unless You plug in some additional commands
into script like chroot or something)

Gert