[Digikam-users] Re: Newb discovers the perils of "endorsed" PPAs!

Mark Greenwood captain_bodge at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 22 15:50:47 GMT 2010

On Wednesday 22 Dec 2010 14:48:46 Hevï Guy wrote:
> Marvelous Absolutely marvelous. Not.
>
> Whereas digiKam was finally working that way that I wanted it to, today
> after a update from the PPA that I had used, it has all gone to hell in
> a hand basket. Something seemed out of the ordinary as soon as the
> "daily hint" appeared. Well, it didn't really appear at all, since the
> dialogue box was content-less. And all thumbnails had disappeared.
> Furthermore, it seems that my nvidia stuff is now acting up as well: The
> Panel drop-downs remain on the screen after being activated.
>
> I now have a "dead" digiKam 1,7.0.
>
> Belatedly, I just read Sputnik's warning not to use Phillip Johnsson's
> repository http://www.digikam.org/drupal/node/556
>
> Yup, I've gotten myself into a fine mess. I suppose that I need to dump
> everything (after backing-up my Home directory to an external source,
> right) and start from Absolute Ground Zero, right? I am utterly LIVID
> (at myself).
>
> So, can anybody give me some directions as to how I should Nuke my
> dual-boot box and start over? However, if I do this, I'll just find
> myself right back where I started: Trying to compile my own version of
> digiKam. Bloody hell   X-(  Should I try a different distro all
> together? I know that it's a personal preference but, which one is
> recommended?
>
> As many would probably be happy to hear, I'm seriously considering
> tucking my tail between my balls and skulking back to Windoze.

Before you go nuclear, you can try a purge of philip johnson's repositiory.

I assume you've still got the .debs you built recently.

sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
sudo ppa-purge  ppa:philip5/extra (this removes anything that's been installed from philip's PPA, replaces it with the standard items from the ubuntu repository, and disables the PPA)
now re-install the .debs you built.

Hopefully this will sort you out.

Mark