[Digikam-users] Transferring image files and database to new hard drive

jag59 jldeshpande at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 07:16:11 BST 2010

Darren Kirby wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> So I've finally run out of room on my 500GB drive dedicated solely to
> my image files. I went out today and bought a 1 terrabyte drive to add
> more space. My intention is to use the new 1TB for all my images and
> keep the 500GB for archived and compressed RAW files. I'm thinking
> that if I just go ahead and move the files, including the DB file to
> the new drive, update my fstab, and mount the new drive in the same
> place that digikam expects it should all go without a hitch? Any
> gotchas I need to be aware of? I guess my main concern is that I don't
> want digikam to have to go through all 500GB of files and regenerate
> the database, as It will take a _very_ long time.
>

> Gentoo Linux
> digikam 1.1.0 on KDE 4.4.5
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...
> I'm on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/badcomputer/

Hi,
Congratulations for the 1 TB HDD!
I think DK is a very reliable and easy to use application for this work.
Just reconfigure DK 'Database' and 'Collection' pointing to the new
locations.
I have successfully copied  my collection from  small partition to another
big partition,reconfigured DK as per new locations,confirmed it's
healthiness  and then deleted the old data on small partition.
At any time the 'datadase file' can be moved to much safer place/position
and it's new path to be given in the 'Database'tab so that DK starts with
usual time without rebuilding the database

Regarding file system,I am not the authorized person.Till I get 1 TB disk
like you,I am forced to continue with my photos on NTFS and their backup on
Ext3 having rw rights only for 'root' .

-----
Jagdeesh Deshpande.
Registered Linux user #492893