[Digikam-users] Transferring image files and database to new hard drive

Darren Kirby bulliver at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 08:32:15 BST 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 12:16 AM, jag59 <jldeshpande at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Congratulations for the 1 TB HDD!
> I think DK is a very reliable and easy to use application for this work.
> Just reconfigure DK 'Database' and 'Collection' pointing to the new
> locations.
> I have successfully copied  my collection from  small partition to another
> big partition,reconfigured DK as per new locations,confirmed it's
> healthiness  and then deleted the old data on small partition.
> At any time the 'datadase file' can be moved to much safer place/position
> and it's new path to be given in the 'Database'tab so that DK starts with
> usual time without rebuilding the database

Thanks for the reply,

It occurs to me I should probably explain a bit more about the
structure of my files. The HDD for my images gets mounted directly on
a directory called 'Pictures' in the top level of my ~user directory.
At the top level of 'Pictures' lives the digikam4.db file, a few blank
model/property release documents and other assorted docs relating to
photography, and two directories, one called 'Film' and one called
'Digital' that serve as the root directories of my 2 digikam
collections. The absolute paths of these whilst mounted would be:

/home/bulliver/Pictures/Digital
/home/bulliver/Pictures/Film

Now I was thinking I could get away without touching digikam's
settings at all, as after I have copied the files and mounted the new
disc they will all live at exactly the same absolute paths as before.
It is my understanding that a program such as digikam should have no
knowledge of the underlying file system and disc structure at
all...and thus would 'just work' at first start after moving the
files. Is this not correct?

> Regarding file system,I am not the authorized person.Till I get 1 TB disk
> like you,I am forced to continue with my photos on NTFS and their backup on
> Ext3 having rw rights only for 'root' .

You know, I have used ext3 because it is stable and rock-solid, but I
am strongly considering trying ext4 for the first time to take
advantage of it's purported speed improvements. Unless someone warns
against, I think that is exactly what I will do. It will require a
kernel recompile for me, so I will start this process tomorrow after
some sleep!

> -----
> Jagdeesh Deshpande.
> Registered Linux user #492893

Thanks again Jagdeesh!

Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...
I'm on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/badcomputer/