[Digikam-users] Transferring image files and database to new hard drive

Darren Kirby bulliver at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 03:17:21 BST 2010

Hi all,

So I've finally run out of room on my 500GB drive dedicated solely to
my image files. I went out today and bought a 1 terrabyte drive to add
more space. My intention is to use the new 1TB for all my images and
keep the 500GB for archived and compressed RAW files. I'm thinking
that if I just go ahead and move the files, including the DB file to
the new drive, update my fstab, and mount the new drive in the same
place that digikam expects it should all go without a hitch? Any
gotchas I need to be aware of? I guess my main concern is that I don't
want digikam to have to go through all 500GB of files and regenerate
the database, as It will take a _very_ long time.

Also, a bit off-topic, but can anyone suggest a Linux file system that
might be ideal for this application? Current FS is ext3, and ideally I
am looking for a FS with a good compromise between stability and
speed.

Gentoo Linux
digikam 1.1.0 on KDE 4.4.5

Thanks,
Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...
I'm on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/badcomputer/