[Digikam-users] Diashow in chronological order

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Tue Aug 10 22:24:11 BST 2010

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 06:09:45PM +0200, Josef Wolf wrote:

> for some reason, digikam presents the diashow in reverse order. EXIF
> information and file timestamps are correct, though. I have checked all
> configuration options, but can not find how to tell digikam to present
> the fotos in chronological order.

Turns out that the pictures are presented in the order in which readdir()
returns the file names. They are not sorted in any way by digikam. Not by
age, not by timestamp and not by filename. This is very annoying if you have
the habit to always make multiple shots of a scene, just in case one of the
people has the eyes closed or something.

I can work around this by something like

   mkdir album.new
   find  album -type f -print | sort | while read x ; do
     ln $x album.new
   done
   rm -rf album
   mv album.new album

But this method has its drawbacks:
 - it fails if there are sub folders
 - the order is mangled again as soon as you manipulate some pictures (remove
   red eyes or something)
 - it is not exactly user friendly

I think an option to specify sort order could greatly improve the user
experience.