[Digikam-users] Some questions/feature requests

gerlos gerlosgm at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 02:55:55 BST 2010

Hello everyone!
I just installed digiKam 1.2 (from the repositories) on my shiny new Macbook
Pro running KUbuntu 10.04, and played for the first time with the batch
processing tool.
I've always used imagemagick for this kind of things, but since everything is
new, I wanted trying something new ;-)

First of all: kudos! It's really a great tool!

Second (question): I've seen that the batch processing tool works on one image
at a time, so it doesn't use my dual core CPU at its maximum. Is it possible
to make it process more images in parallel, instead of one image after the
other?

I think that the default behaviour is really good for normal usage, it lets us
do other things when it's running, like editing other photos. But you know,
today I needed to work on ~400 images. It took ~2 hours, and looking at CPU
usage when the batch processing tool was running, I felt that there were a lot
of CPU cycles wasted... ;-)

Third (feature request): today I needed to batch adjust levels, resize images,
reduce noise, increase sharpness, and to find the best parameters for my set of
photos I edited some of them in the editor. I like that the tools in the
editor "remember" the parameters you set last time you used them, and this
thing speeds a lot editing work.
But wouldn't it be nice if when one adds a tool in the batch processing tool,
it got the latest parameters used in the editor?

This way, for example, I could set white balance parameters in the editor for
a single photo, then add a bunch of photos to the batch processing tool, add
the white balance tool, and immediately get that values that I found
interactively. This speeds a lot the configuration.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure if my explanation is clear... today I have some
problems with my English :-/

Regards
gerlos

--
"Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do
more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do