[Digikam-users] Albums: how do you organize them?

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Fri Apr 30 17:34:43 BST 2010

Am Mittwoch, 28. April 2010 schrieb Sebastian Schubert:
> Hi,
>
> I'm just curious how you organize your albums in digikam. My idea
> is not to just use the date -- I can get that automatically -- but
> to have albums like that Party / Peter's Birthday 50th or holidays
> / 2010 Prague etc.

Usually I organize my photos in a directory by year and at least one
other category (lets say 2010/Frankfurt). Additionally I use some
folders for special events like vacation, marriages, birthdays.

Parallel to the folders I tag all my photos with three major groups:
- location
- persons
- subject
with various subtags. Every now and then I reorganize my tags. To find
some vacation photos I usually use the folder view. To search for
persons I mostly use the tag view. I currently use a mix of folder and
tags to find my photos.

Since this year I use the renaming feature of digikam during import
but I don't use the filename for searching.

I don't like the year/month/day aproach for storing my photos.
Sometimes I have to use other programs than digikam and I don't
remeber very well what I have done on 2009-08-14. And with the
timeline feature I can access the photos at a specific date much
faster.