[Digikam-users] Albums: how do you organize them?

Daniel Bauer linux at daniel-bauer.com
Fri Apr 30 10:15:50 BST 2010

On Friday 30 April 2010 08.13:19, Photonoxx wrote:
> Le Wed, 28 Apr 2010 23:18:57 +0200, Sebastian Schubert
> <schubert.seb at googlemail.com> a écrit:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm just curious how you organize your albums in digikam. My idea is not
> > to just use the date -- I can get that automatically -- but to have albums
> > like that Party / Peter's Birthday 50th or holidays / 2010 Prague etc.
> >
> > Maybe there are still better ideas out there.

I guess organizing the folders is a very personal task and it depends on how
you use digikam, and for what purposes. I for my self still havn't found the
ideal way, I have to move the files quite often, but hey, I am not a genious
organizer...

So this mail contains a description of my complicated workflow I use at
present. Maybe its of interest to someone. If not just forget it and delete
without reading the long story below :-)

I always shoot raw + middle size/quality jpg and have many more images than
space on my laptop...

I have two things that are important for grouping my files:
- what/who is it
- what is the state of the images (unselected, selected, etc.)

I copy the card to my desktop and rename that folder with the number of the
card in chronological order (100EOS5D_1 for the first card, ..._2 for the
second..). Then I rename the file-numbers using mc according to the folder
number ( IMG_0* = img_1* in folder ..._1 etc.). This way the original file-
numbers/chronology is preserved and I don't have double numbers within one
session (I always begin with No. 1 on a card).

Then I make a new folder on the deskop, with the name of the model or client.
Within this folder a subfolder with the date and in there two subfolders for
cr2 and jpg:

- Model_or_Client_Name
  - Session_2010_04_30
    - original_cr2
    - original_jpg

I copy this to 2 external HD's.

In digikam I have a complicated structure:

- new_sessions
- do_it_later
- in_work_progress

- personal_stuff + subfolders
- uncategorized (divers) + subfolders
- publications + subfolders
- clients + subfolders
- models + subfolders

I import only original_jpg into digikam:
new_sessions/Model_or_Client_Name/Session_date/original_jpg.
then delete the folders on the desktop.

Here I do the time consuming selection. I mark similar images, from which I
want to select 1, and open them with kuickshow. I can then have always 2
images side by side, keep the better one and close the other one, compare the
left over one with the next one etc. I remember the number(s) of the last left
over one(s), close them, unmark them in digikam and move the rest to a
"unused" subfolder.

Finally I divide and move the rest into several "series" subfolders. Then I
use digikam editor to click thru each series. Sometimes I have to remove
another one and move it to "unused" or take one back from unsused into the
series.

When finished, I delete the "unused"-folder and move the complete
Model_or_Client_Name/Session_date/original_jpg/subfolders into
in_work_progress

Using a script I now copy all the needed cr2-files from my external backup
into my virtual-windows-shared-folder. I develop the raw files using Canons
software in Windows-XP running in VirtualBox. I don't change anything else
here, just adjust the white balance, colors and brightness, removing "grain"
when using high ISO settings.

Again using a simple script I copy the developped TIFFs, converted to png, to
a new folder
in_work_progress/Model_or_Client_Name/Session_date/edited

Now I go thru this folder, using digikam editor to do cropping, color
enhancement, converting to black-and-white etc. When retouching or work on
parts of the image only is needed, I open gimp (I miss right-click, open-
with... within the editor...). I also use gimp for curves.

After finishing all the editing again I use a simple script (using
imagemagick) to convert the pngs to jpgs (sometimes of different sizes),
insert my copyright mark, and distribute the files to their series subfolders.

I backup in_work_progress/Model_or_Client_Name/Session_date/edited, delete the
pngs , and move the folders to clients or models.

So in the end the images stay here:

- models
  - Model_Name_X
    - Session_date
      - series_name_a (herein original file-site jpgs)
        - 800px
        - 1500px
        - etc.
      - series_name_b (herein original file-site jpgs)
        - ...
    - Session_date
      - ...
  - Model_Name_Y
    - ...

From finished images no more original files or editable pngs are in digikam.
They are all on backups only and I have to get them from there if once needed
again or to send to publishers that want more than jpgs.

This workflow uses a lot of moving, which on system base is no problem, but
digikam doesn't really like my way of doing it... It punishes me with long,
long waiting times and sometimes crashes.

I use this complicated workflow because I must find the photos under the name
of the client or model, plus I must know, if I already edited them or not.
Unfortunately most of the time I cannot select/edit the photos of a session
right on, so I cannot avoid the copying from and to external HDs - otherwise
my labtops HD would overflow...

I don't want to use tags anymore. It was too unstable in the past, it was too
complicated to change many tags at a time, I don't want the tags in the image
files that will go to other people. I tried to use tags for embeding
"keywords" into web-images, but as google etc. don't look at image-tags, I
strip all tags anyway. I don't use flickr etc, where tags might help to
organize or give infos. I can also imagine, that for personal use, tags can be
very helpful.

I rarely use the stars, and if then only temporarily during selection. In the
end I only have "good enough" or "waste", no "almost good enough", "maybe
waste" etc..., so the image is in digikam and usable, or it's deleted...

However, I *never* delete raw files on my backups. I want to preserve the
complete sessions and who knows, what I think about "good" when I (or somebody
else) looks at the session years later. If we then still have energy to run
our computers :-)

So this is my novel of the day. Hope it was not too time consuming for you....

have fun!

Daniel
my new blog: http://www.guapamania.com/wordpress/