[Digikam-users] Albums: how do you organize them?

Micha Neubauer Micha.Neubauer at yahoo.de
Fri Apr 30 21:44:55 BST 2010

> Hi,
>
> I'm just curious how you organize your albums in digikam.

Many of you organise your photos with tags, very often they seem to be organised
hierarchically. Do you then tag the whole hierarchy or just the lowest one?
For example: Europe/France/Paris/Montmartre

Do you give the picture taken in Montmartre also the Tag Europe and France and Paris or do
you have this hierarchical tree only for sorting your tags?
Of course Montmartre is in Europe and Paris and in France. But tagging all of it is much
more work than only the one tag Montmartre. Or is there a way of automatically applying
tag to everything in higher hierarchy?
Then later on I might decide to move the Montmartre tag away from Paris and put it under
Europe/France/Hills/Montmartre. What happens then to the tags which are written in the
metadata (IPTC or XMP)? When I always tag the whole hierarchy it is a lot of work and
might end in a mess. But when I only tag Montmartre, I do not have an easy possibility to
just filter all images of Paris or France.
Is there maybe an automatic way of which I don't know to dissolve the hierarchies
afterwards again?

I have started tagging my photos almost two years ago, then stopped and now I want to
start again. But I realize now that the system I was using back then was not very good, so
I am just thinking on how to improve it; to have something which can help me also in 10
years maybe

Cheers
micha