[Digikam-users] How to save RAW files?

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Sun Apr 25 21:26:46 BST 2010

Am Sonntag, 25. April 2010 schrieb sean darcy:
> Martin (KDE) wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, 25. April 2010 schrieb sean darcy:
> >> I've got .nef and .cr2. What's the best way to Save As during
> >> editing? That is, how do I save them so I can continue editing
> >> them in RAW?
> >
> > First: There is no best way. My point of view: Never ever change
> > your raw files. They are your negative. So keep them save and
> > unchanged.
>
> Yes. That I know, that's why I'm trying to save a copy.
>
> > My way of handling is to use an software which is capable of
> > handling configuration files (like recipe) where all settings
> > are stored, so I can change one parameter and let the other
> > alone. I use ufraw for this, but rawtherapee can be used as
> > well.
>
> I find digikam easier to use for some tasks, especially rotating
> and cropping, and levels adjustment. So I want to save the file
> after I do those adjustments.

As I said before: My way of handling is building up a recipe what to
do with the file. Sadly digikam does not support something like this.
If, for example, I want to refix the white balance, I simply change
the white balance in the recipe and generate a png (or what ever I
want). Ufraw may be not that easy in handling, but it does what I want
it to do. Btw, have you ever tried rawtherapee?

> >> I've tried saving them as nef and dng. But digikam can't open
> >> the new saved files. "Failed to load image"
> >>
> >> Tiff, ppm, png? Is nef or dng supposed to work?
> >
> > This depends what you want to do with the images. If it is final,
> > jpeg is enough. If you want to edit it several times, tiff or
> > png is better choice.
>
> No it's not final, so I don't want to use jpeg. I'll use png then.
>
> Is dng or nef supposed to work? I thought dng at least was supposed
> to work. But if I save a file in dng, neither digikam nor ufraw
> can open it.

I don't safe raw files, so I don't know, sorry.

> sean

Martin