[Digikam-users] How to save RAW files?

sean darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 21:13:37 BST 2010

Martin (KDE) wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 25. April 2010 schrieb sean darcy:
>> I've got .nef and .cr2. What's the best way to Save As during
>> editing? That is, how do I save them so I can continue editing
>> them in RAW?
>
> First: There is no best way. My point of view: Never ever change your
> raw files. They are your negative. So keep them save and unchanged.

Yes. That I know, that's why I'm trying to save a copy.

> My way of handling is to use an software which is capable of handling
> configuration files (like recipe) where all settings are stored, so I
> can change one parameter and let the other alone. I use ufraw for
> this, but rawtherapee can be used as well.

I find digikam easier to use for some tasks, especially rotating and
cropping, and levels adjustment. So I want to save the file after I do
those adjustments.

>> I've tried saving them as nef and dng. But digikam can't open the
>> new saved files. "Failed to load image"
>>
>> Tiff, ppm, png? Is nef or dng supposed to work?
>
> This depends what you want to do with the images. If it is final, jpeg
> is enough. If you want to edit it several times, tiff or png is better
> choice.

No it's not final, so I don't want to use jpeg. I'll use png then.

Is dng or nef supposed to work? I thought dng at least was supposed to
work. But if I save a file in dng, neither digikam nor ufraw can open it.

sean