[Digikam-users] Digikam and tagging

jim junk junk_jim at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 2 19:48:46 BST 2010

I use a somewhat different method of tagging.  If I need to I just create the tags in advance in the right hand tag window.  Then I just select the images I want to tag and drag them to the approriate tag or I select the images I want to tag and right click and go to "assign tag".  From the right click menu there is an option to create a tag on the fly which is pretty sweet.  Remember that you can make the thumbnails as large or as small as you want so I don't use the view.  It is true that you'll have to do a bit of hand switching, from mouse to keyboard and back, with this method but it doesn't seem to be that big of a problem for me.  You may have different feelings.

I've been tagging for a fairly long time so I don't have to create all that many tags now.  I also use a lot of hierarchical tags.  So I have a tag for people and under it I have a tag for Friend one, friend 2 etc.  Similarly I have a tag for places and then all of the places are beneath it.  It's not necessary to worry a lot about what tags you need and in what hierarchy you want them as you can drag and drop them to new places any time you want.  Similarly you can rename them any time you want.  So just go ahead and tag them and worry about getting it right later.

So if I were ever lucky enough to go to London  I'd have PLACES/ENGLAND/LONDON/ SOME REALLY COOL PLACE 1 then SOME REALLY KOOL PLACE 2 and so on.  Notice that in the left tags find window I can click on any of the tags to get all of images tagged with tags below it or you could geocode the images and then just select a rectangle on the map to find all of the images within the rectangle.  I use a GPS to geocode the images as that way is very fast and very reliable.

Hope this helps.