[Digikam-users] Color management plugin: Purpose, Workflow?

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Mon Sep 14 21:27:38 BST 2009

> For soft-proofing the image before printing on the inkjet. This requires
> also the possibility to choose the colorimetric intent + BPC and see the
> out-of-gamut colours.

Specifying the printer profile is clear (btw: do you have a "classic" example
profile for me for testing?)

The plugin currently allows to specify an input profile and a workspace
profile. I dont see why. In the image editor, usually each image has an
assigned profile and there is a set workspace profile. So I would remove these
extra settings in the plugin?

> However, it would be better to have soft-proofing as a standard mode for
> displaying, so that the user can  see changes of other types of
> adjustments on-the-fly (like curves, levels, ...). E.g. GIMP has this
> hidden in the Settings/CM (not so great) and CinePaint allows to select
> it right from the menu View (which is convenient).

You mean something like the over-exposure indicator currently, that can be
toggled on and off as needed?

> For conversion from wide gamut to sRGB - just for the purpose of
> emailing, web publishing. Here the preview is not actually so important
> since I cannot control the display of other users (calibrated?) anyway.
> Hence I usually do this as part of a batch run from the shell.

I plan to make a little assign/convert plugin, to offer color space conversion
from the menu directly, and also add a task to the batch queue manager. But
most of that won't make it for 1.0.