[Digikam-users] Color management plugin: Purpose, Workflow?

Milan Knížek knizek.confy at volny.cz
Sat Sep 12 20:32:04 BST 2009

Marcel Wiesweg píše v So 12. 09. 2009 v 16:17 +0200:
> Before fixing it, I have to find clear answers to these questions:
> For which operations is this plugin intended?

For soft-proofing the image before printing on the inkjet. This requires
also the possibility to choose the colorimetric intent + BPC and see the
out-of-gamut colours.

However, it would be better to have soft-proofing as a standard mode for
displaying, so that the user can  see changes of other types of
adjustments on-the-fly (like curves, levels, ...). E.g. GIMP has this
hidden in the Settings/CM (not so great) and CinePaint allows to select
it right from the menu View (which is convenient).

For conversion from wide gamut to sRGB - just for the purpose of
emailing, web publishing. Here the preview is not actually so important
since I cannot control the display of other users (calibrated?) anyway.
Hence I usually do this as part of a batch run from the shell.

Some users may want to use it for conversion to a printer profile before
sending the file out to the printing company.

regards,

Milan Knizek
knizek (dot) confy (at) volny (dot) cz
http://www.milan-knizek.net - About linux and photography (Czech