[Digikam-users] Color management plugin: Purpose, Workflow?

Milan Knížek knizek.confy at volny.cz
Wed Sep 16 08:32:55 BST 2009

Marcel Wiesweg píše v Po 14. 09. 2009 v 22:27 +0200:
> > For soft-proofing the image before printing on the inkjet. This
requires
> > also the possibility to choose the colorimetric intent + BPC and see
the
> > out-of-gamut colours.
>
> Specifying the printer profile is clear (btw: do you have a "classic"
example
> profile for me for testing?)
I sent it directly to you.

> The plugin currently allows to specify an input profile and a
workspace
> profile. I dont see why. In the image editor, usually each image has
an
> assigned profile and there is a set workspace profile. So I would
remove these
> extra settings in the plugin?
I guess the current plugin can be removed as such.
The profile mismatch (embedded versus workspace) is solved on opening
the image.
Printer profile is in Settings.
Manual conversions/assignment - you describe it below.

> > However, it would be better to have soft-proofing as a standard mode
for
> > displaying, so that the user can  see changes of other types of
> > adjustments on-the-fly (like curves, levels, ...). E.g. GIMP has
this
> > hidden in the Settings/CM (not so great) and CinePaint allows to
select
> > it right from the menu View (which is convenient).
>
> You mean something like the over-exposure indicator currently, that
can be
> toggled on and off as needed?
Exactly. It could be a sub-menu:

Colour Management / [on/off] Colour managed view
                    [on/off] Soft-proofing
                    [on/off] Simulate paper white
                    [on/off] Out of gamut colours
                    Intent / [on/off] Relative
                             [on/off] Absolute
                             [on/off] Perceptual
                             [on/off] Saturation
                             [on/off] BPC.

The Soft-proofing makes sense only if Colour Managed View is enabled.
The Simulate paper white makes sense only if Soft-proofing is enabled.
The default values for Colour Managed View and Intent should be those
set in Settings.
Only one of Relative, Absolute, Perceptual and Saturation may be chosen,
while BPC may be combined with any of the intents.

> > For conversion from wide gamut to sRGB - just for the purpose of
> > emailing, web publishing. Here the preview is not actually so
important
> > since I cannot control the display of other users (calibrated?)
anyway.
> > Hence I usually do this as part of a batch run from the shell.
>
> I plan to make a little assign/convert plugin, to offer color space
conversion
> from the menu directly, and also add a task to the batch queue
manager. But
> most of that won't make it for 1.0.
Good.

BTW: Your effort is highly appreciated.