[Digikam-users] Colours, digikam and firefox

Alastair Burt alastair.burt at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 12:15:20 GMT 2009

When I have a photo fresh from my camera in JPEG format, the photo looks the
same in digikam and firefox. When I open the photo in digikam's editor,
showfoto, carry out *no edting*, and ask the editor to "save as" another
JPEG file, the situation is quite different. Digikam, gwenview and image
magick's display all show me something that looks just like the original
version. But firefox and gimp -- both GTK-based programs, I note-- show me a
photo with a heavy blue tinge. This is also true if I save the original file
in PNG format.

I am perplexed as to why photos have different colours in digikam and
firefox. Currently, my suspicion lies with the handling of colour
management. Getting the image magick display program to output info on the
files, I see one difference between the original and the "saved as" JPEG
version is that the saved version has "Profile-icc sRGB". Is this being
handled differently in GTK-based programs? And is there a way for me to be
more sure that what I see in digikam bears some resemblance to what it will
look like in people's browsers?

I have just experienced this phenomenon with the following two JPEG files on
kubuntu jaunty with digikam 0.10.0 and firefox 3.5.5, but I have seen the
same with other photos and other versions of kubuntu, digikam and firefox.

  original:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2746/4127187151_b5e291f2b8_o_d.jpg
  saved as version:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2654/4127958878_dccbeb8db7_o_d.jpg